This post is going to be incredibly depressing. I suggest if you are PMS'ing or just having a bad day in general to pass this one up and save to read for another time. I need to get this stuff out before it eats me alive.
I want more.
It sounds incredibly selfish doesn't it?
Well sometimes Mommies are selfish.
The other day I was on the phone with my mom.
I was talking to her about how much I hate the way things are for Makily.
My mom is ALWAYS positive and hopeful when it comes to Makily. SO MUCH SO that even when she had her grand mal seizure back in 2006 my mom insisted everything was fine. Now picture it, Makily lay in front of her in the emergency room, intubated, sedated with enough meds to knock over a horse, STILL SEIZING with all these meds in her and my mom continued to look at me saying "Makily is fine". Granted that particular time she said it with tears streaming down her face and fear in her eyes. She still insisted that Makily was just fine.
This memory makes me cry by the way.
So anyway I was having the "woe is me" moment on the phone with my mom last week and she said something she and others have said to me before.
"It could be so much worse".
That's true it COULD be so much worse, but ya know what?
It could be a HELL OF A LOT BETTER.
So at this point I went off on a tangent about all the things that could be better, the longer my list got, the more upset I got until I was hysterically crying.
When I realized that one of the things that I said could be better was that "I want Makily to color" I really lost it. I said "Mom how sad is it that I DREAM of my FIVE year old coloring, do you hear how pathetic that sounds"?
*sigh*
I ADORE Makily. I wouldn't trade her for the world but that does not change the fact that I want to give her the world and I can't. No matter how much money I have, how much therapy I get for her, no matter how much food I cram in her mouth or times I say "mamma" in a desperate attempt to get her to say it back to me, Makily will NEVER have the life that she should have had or deserves.
Makily does not get to enjoy running or playing. She can't go up to another child and play a game. She would be content watching Spongebob and playing with one of her toys alone.
I just want so much more for her.
I look back at myself when I was pregnant with her and think "gee I sure was oblivious".
I really was.
34 weeks pregnant with Makily. Valentine's Day 2004.
They say ignorance IS bliss. I didn't know how true that statement was until I had Makily.
Allen and I after my baby shower. 36 weeks pregnant.
In the two above pictures I was literally on cloud nine. My life was perfect. The icing on the cake was going to be when I gave birth to the "healthy" baby I was carrying. My life would be complete.
I had no idea in those pictures that I would find myself desperately forcing a smile for our very first family photos together.
Allen, Makily and I a few hours after her birth before Shands NICU came to take her away.
I had no idea that the first time I held my newborn I would want to put her down and run in fear of what was happening.
It never occur ed to me that the morning after her birth I would drive 30 miles to Shands to find my newborn like this:
and with no explanation of why she was that way.
In my pregnancy pictures I still see that girl I was before. The blissfully ignorant person who had never REALLY experienced any sort of tragedy or deep loss. I see a person that was happier than she had ever been in her life. I truly did look at the world through rose colored glasses.
I look at those pictures now and shake my head saying "I had no idea what was about to happen to us".
I never imagined back then that this would be the picture of the first day we brought Makily home.
I never would have believed that Allen and I would know how to use a G tube by the time my daughter was a month old.
Most of all I had no idea that I would have to watch my daughter in immense amounts of pain.....on more occasions than I can count....and not be able to do a damn thing for her to make it better.
I want Makily to run, dance, play, sing, yell, scream, skip, walk, climb and JUMP. I want her to like to paint, color, glue, cut paper and do all the things a five year old can do. I want her to have TONS of little friends that can come over and giggle during a slumber party until I am screaming at them to go to sleep.
I want Makily to run up to me and throw her arms around my neck and tell me she loves me.
I want the same thing for Allen.
At Makily's last IEP they told me something that I didn't tell anyone. Not even Allen. I kept it in the back of my mind desperate not to think about it or deal with it. I thought if I didn't talk about it maybe I would be able to get through March without loosing it.
Makily has to be re-evaluated because her "developmentally delayed" label can no longer be used after age five.
They will do an IQ test (don't ask how on earth they can do that with a non-verbal child, I have no idea).
Makily's new label will likely be "mentally retarded".
I knew this already, I mean I've read the reports on Emanuel Syndrome, the doctors told us that she would be "retarded" when they diagnosed her. I guess when she was little I held out hope that maybe that would not be true. The older Makily gets though the harder it is to deny. Even reading the word "retarded" makes my stomach churn since having her. I knew what *I* thought mentally retarded was before Makily was born and so I know what people that DON'T LOVE AND KNOW MAKILY think of her.
I want everyone on the planet to look at Makily like I do.
The fact still remains though that if you don't know us, love Makily or follow her story you would look at her and think "that child is retarded".
Part of the reason I started my blog was because I wanted everyone in the world to know what an amazing kid Makily is......even though she is the "r" word. I am slowly accepting that I can't educate the world. I can't change the world's perception of what a "retarded" person is. I can't make everyone understand me or how I see things. Not everyone lives my life. That makes me feel really lonely and sad. I take comfort knowing that their are other families out there that KNOW what this is like. I am grateful for Allen that I have him and that I know he hurts about all these things as much as I do.....he just doesn't talk about them.
So tonight I am sad because I want more for Makily and I can't give it to her.
She will be five in less than two weeks and I will not be looking back at her birth with warm fuzzy feelings. I will always look back at it was sadness and grief. That makes me feel so guilty.
Believe me, I've tried.
I love you Makily.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
I want more.
*Disclaimer:
I can't change it though.
You deserve the world baby and I would do anything to give it to you.
Posted by Patyrish at 3/19/2009 04:59:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

30 comments:
I understand Trish. I understand every single thought you just wrote. I was hit with the same news at Luke's IEP last week. His "label" for continued services will be mentally retarded. I am sure that you handled it with a lot more grace than I did. I left the team with some harsh truths about their "labels". And I'm not sorry. Hang in there girl.
I can't write that I understand, because I don't. I might think I do and I might try to, but I know I really don't. Thank you so much for sharing this. I know you can't educate "the world" but every person who reads what you write can come away closer to understanding and definitely more able to appreciate your daughter and other people with special needs.
I haven't commented before but really thought it would be wrong for me to read something so personal and honest and not respond.
Amanda
I am so sorry Trish and "Foster Mom"... I don't have a child with special needs, however unfortunately I am a special needs teacher who has the ugly task of working with labels. In MA, most of my students who are "mentally retarded" get "official" diagnoses of "Global Intellectual Impairment". I am not sure if that helps you at all, but I have been told by many parents that they prefer that label rather than Mental retardation. Several parents have told me that "global intellectual impairment" will not be as stigmatizing. I wish you the absolute best of luck. Feel free to get in touch with me if you need anymore help.
Trish,
It's perfectly understandable to feel the way you do. I'm sure a part of you is always grieving and then big milestones hit you and it's even harder. Sending gigantic hugs your way.
Lisa
i too understand about wanting more for you child and knowing that no matter how much therapy or effort that i put in, that im just going to have to be happy with a beautiful. i remember the excitement of ordering josie's first wheelchair (she was getting really heavy!) but bawling like a baby the day before it was due to be delivered because it felt so final. i havent had to deal with the shock of giving birth to a child with disabilities, but have had to deal with looks and stares and invasive questions as to why we would adopt a child who can't talk, sit up, walk, or even crawl. but like you, i wouldnt trade my josie for the world. for someone to have gone through so much and yet have such pure joy...its something really amazing...but i know, just like makily, that my josie deserves so much more.
oops, meant to say that we will have to settle for a *beautiful smile*
Trish, you are such an inspiration. You have taught me so much and you don't even know it. I wish I could say I understood how you feel but I don't. You are very brave and I wish I could just give you a big hug. Just so you know, Katie loves Makily and is so happy to call her a friend. Like I told you before, she wishes Makily were her little sister so she could do things with her. Don't give up hope. I will stand with your Mom and say "Makily will be fine".
My heart truly breaks for you and your family. Makily is a beautiful little girl who is loved and appreciated more than alot of children are...It is not fair by any means- but I am glad she was born into a family that loves her and is undeniably and unconditionally devoted to her. I have been following your story since the very beginning over on the caringbridge blog- and even though I do not "know" you- I justwish I could give you both a big hug and say how proud I am of you both! Your courage, determination, and love for your daughter are an inspiration to me and Im sure many more mothers who read this blog...God Bless...
Oh Trish ~ I totally understand. I too was "there" right before Danny's 5th birthday in December. I wish there was some words of wisdom that will make you feel better, but as I know it will always lay low and pop up here and there. It's ok! Let it loose, we are here to listen and hopefully help you get through it. You're an inspiration to all us Special Needs moms out there and Makily is so lucky to have a wonderful mother (and father). Take care
Trish, There is so much on this journey that changes us to be a better person. I too would give anything to have that little boy who I have dreamt about that comes running around the corner smiling and throws his arms around his mom. I have learned so much from Reese, but when it comes right down to it, I wish I had a spoiled rotten, snotty nosed, snotty three year old running around that everyone thought was a brat.
I feel your pain. I get it. I am sorry that you have to be here experiencing this journey. Even though our kids have taught us much more than they ever would have if they were "normal," it still sucks to have to give up on the dreams that we had with no reason to doubt their becoming reality. I don't know you, but I read your words and could have written them myself. This is a sucky time of the year for me as well.
Sending you peace and light, Nena
Just wanted to let you know what I see when I look at Makily-an adorable, music loving, sweet little girl with THE most beautiful hair ever. Sending you hugs!
prayers for strength and hope for the future. . .
hey trish, i love you!
I just wanted to say that I am a perfect stranger and I really really think that ever since I have started to read your blog my heart feels love for all the kids with disabilities that I see. I go out of my way to say hi to both the child and the mom and I ask questions instead of staring. You have made that difference. Your perspective is real and it reminds all of us that no one is immune to having a child who will need special care. You write beautifully about the good and the bad. You are an inspiration.
GenWat (CAB)
I know I will never know the sadness that you feel. I have been blessed with healthy children and grandchildren.
BUT - I must tell you, that although you can't educate the world, you have helped me to look at special needs children differently. Through Makily and a few of the other children that I have "met" through your blog, I have seen the joy in their little successes and sorrow in the disapointments. I pray for them every day. God Bless you, Trish - Makily IS making a difference!
Mo
I have children with special needs...and I still won't say that I totally understand. I don't. All I have is "my normal"...which is not yours.
I can say that what you are saying...every parent feels. You always want more. Either...more than you had...or better than you had.
I honestly JUST had a conversation with my husband...an hour ago. Gracie is going to age out of early intervention soon. My exact words were: "I don't want her to be doing well for "Grace"...I want her to be age appropriate. I want her to run...*acknowledging that she toddles* I want her to jump *acknowledging that she makes an effort...but her little feet don't leave the ground* I want her to know her colors...*acknowledging she does not have the words*.
We all want more...it's part of being a mom.
Anyone who reads...knows that you adore her...as do we. :0)
Rest in knowing...she has great purpose in this world...you will probably never know the lives she has and will touch.
Love ya girly!
Trish,
I understand. When you're hit with that label, it sucks. The "r" word sucks. But Makily is still the same sweet girl you've always loved. Labels don't change that.
Sending hugs with understanding your way, from another "intellectually disabled" mommy.
Trish I just wanted to say that you are an amazing woman and Momma!! I admire your strength and honesty so much!!
Trish,
It is funny, just when you think you are "okay" with your life, something new comes along and turns it upside down. Just before Nathan turned five, I too thought that I was okay with our lives...sure had good days and bad...but that the grieving was over. Then I drove by a soccer field with five year olds running up and down the field. I burst out crying. Bob asked why and I said, "Nathan should be there too." I went through the whole grieving process again.
When Nathan was little, it was easier for everyone to over look his disabilities, but as he got bigger, that changed. He now has a bigger wheelchair, bigger bed, bigger everything, but I have come to realize that he is still the same old wonderful Nathan.
I think a lot of the time we grieve based on what we expect their life should be like, but I bet Nathan & Makily have no complaints about their lives. They are loved & love unconditionally, they are happy with life...even when they are struggling to breathe.
Adreanna
Oh Trish. I so understand how you feel. Everything that is in your heart is in mine too. I cried through your whole post. Blayne just turned 5 in Decemeber and it was really hard for me too. I am still coming to grips with it. As he gets bigger and older it becomes mroe apparent how behind he is.
He just had an IEP last month for Kindergarten next year and it took every ounce of strength in me not to bawl several times through the meeting. I wasn't even expecting it but they would say something and I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. Cry for my sweet little boy who 'is delayed' in so many areas. I ache for wanting more for Blayne too. I think they will do IQ testing on him next year as well and I can't even allow myself to think about it.
Right now he is the oldest kid in his classroom (headstart) and when I see the kids his age out for recess my heart just hurts. They said that he will be in a mixed classroom next year with 'normal' kids because they think it is important for them to all interact with each other. I fear so badly that kids are going to be mean to him. Right now they are young and don't know but as they get older they do. Kids are so cruel. I can't imagine kids being mean to him. I don't want anyone to hurt his heart. He is so happy in his little world that I just want to keep him protected from everything. I think eventually we will end up homeschooling for this reason. It is a shame because school is so good for him and I want him to interact with other kids.
All I want to say is I wish I could give you a big hug. I so feel the pain and I am sorry. It truly isn't fair. When you said BUT IT COULD BE SO MUCH BETTER I thought omg you are so right. I tell myself everyday that it could be worse because that is the only way I get through it. Not only do I deal with Blayne's challenges but my sister had a stroke 3 1/2 years ago at 21 from a car accident. She was going to be a doctor and now she can't even read. It breaks my heart when I buy things for Blayne and I think 'This could help her too'. Her right side is paralyzed. She can't use her right arm and limps badly when she walks. People are so cruel. It isn't fair and your right it could be so much better.
All I want to say is. Makily is beautiful. She is full of life and she is so bright. You can see it in her eyes that she has so much in there.
I wrote Blayne a poem awhile back that I plan on framing to put in his room. One of the verses in it says
You are becoming a small child now and to some you are 'disabled'
Remember my dear son, this is merly just a label.
It doesn't matter what labels they place on her. You know the truth but I know it hurts and your right it isn't fair. Hang in there.
Feel free to email me at JoleneFerguson@cox.net or PM me on P2P if you ever want to talk because I so get it. *HUGS*
Our daughter also has ES. Every word you said is the life we also live. I think these same words everyday. Now our daughter Grace is 6 months and is just showing signs of being delayed...I know it will only get harder. I sometimes wish she could be a baby forever because that way she would be closer to being
developmentally "normal". I want you to know that you inspired me to create a blog for Grace...hopefully it will be up soon. Thank you for you inspiration...someday I hope we can meet. Hang in there! I know how hard it is! Amanda
As I sit here sobbing like a 2 year old (and I'm not PMSing or anyting) my heart just breaks for you. You are and obviously have been a fantastic mom to her!!!! That is what is most important. I can't imagine how hard it is to go through what you are going through but remember you are her biggest advocate and she is yours! Fight like hell for all her rights and keep loving her with all your heart! Your doing great!
Hearts and Hugs
Marie Wimsett
Oh trish... as stupid and sensless as this is going to sound, I STILL believe a miracle can heal Makily. I believe she can live a full and complete life. I believe that there is a force beyond what is natural or explainable that can come AT ANY AGE AND STAGE and intervene in your daughter's life.
I believe in miracles. Still. Forever.
1st time commenter. I'm a follower of your blog (about 6 months now). Your writing is incredible and really love reading your blog. I love how honest you are. You really put into words the feelings we tend to have.
I think Makily is beautiful. I think she has touched so many lives through your writings. Thank you for sharing her with us. I really wish for her, too, that she could color, run and jump. I ache for you...it's hard to watch your baby 'miss out' or suffer.
You are an amazing mother. I think God gave her to you because he wanted her in good hands. Not everyone could take such good care of Angel Makily. I'm sure a lot of us moms with healthy kids think at times that we must not be as adequete of moms if we got the "easy" kids. I hope that makes sense.
As for labels. She is your baby and who are they to judge. It's sad that the world can't see that everyone doesn't have to fit into a certain mold. We NEED to always look for what we like and love about everyone. We are all different and need help in various areas... some more than others. If people judge than they aren't as mature of a person and haven't lived yet. I don't think you have lived until you're life hasn't gone as "planned". Because then your eyes tend to open up and care for others more than you ever did before.
Long comment...hope I don't look stalkerish.:) Thanks again for sharing!
Tammy (5year old girl, 13month old boy)
Mental retardation is a medical diagnosis, not an insult, or in any way a definition of who an individual is. Makaily is a beautiful child with an outgoing and engaging personality. A label cannot change that. She may not do the things typically developing children do, but she does have the potential to live a life that she is happy with. I love reading your site and hearing stories about the little girl who loves music and swimming and sponge bob.
Love you Trish. That's all. Just love you.
Let me tell you how I see Makily. I only know her through your writing, pictures, and a few videos here and there. From that, I've come to regard her as a beautiful little girl who shows content and happiness, delights in the simplest of things, responds to her loved ones, feels human emotions and expresses them well (remember how she got jealous of her gran holding J?), and best of all, brings her parents joy.
So don't ever worry about how the rest of us see her. It's an educational thing. I had a friend down the street during my childhood who had an older brother that was diagnosed with mental retardation. This is how I learned quite a bit of sign language when I was only 7. This boy was loving and creative, and he set the story for me on what "mental retardation" is. Just another condition - like asthma or a heart defect. None of us are perfect. And I remember realizing way back at age 7, that boy who was mentally retarded saw the world differently. He was almost ALWAYS happy. Maybe he lived a more enjoyable life than I did? (And believe it or not, I remember thinking that he just simply didn't WANT to color with us or ride bikes. It never occurred to me that he COULDN'T.)
I don't think he was ever aware of anything he COULDN'T do either.
Even though he didn't mind, his mother did. She was very visibly upset by his limitations. I have very clear visions of her when I read your words today about how you feel.
I wish there were no labels, and no condition of "mental retardation" either. I wish everyone touched by that condition could have "more."
Hang in there my friend. I appreciate how you feel, and I wish I lived closer.
Hey Trish. I'm so sorry. Wish I could give you a hug. . . . You know--you and Allen are showing the world every day how wonderful Makily is, not only by telling all of your readers about her, but just by taking such good care of her and enjoying her yourselves. Makily's personhood comes through loud and clear.
Trish, as you said about your sisters son, it is nothing but a label! Makily is amazing and you have done amazing things with her! I remember a Dr at shands telling you to let her code cause she would be nothing....SO WRONG! You were determined from that point on to make that Dr eat his words and look at her now...she is so much more than anyone thought, she is so full of life, something we never thought she would have very long. I know is sucks that you can not do more for her and she can not do all the things you wish for her, but she is LOVED!!! more than any child I know and has the most amazing parents ever! I am so proud to tell my friends and family about your family...and more proud to tell your story. I always think of the day Makliy was born also.. worry for you and Allen, wondering what was going on with Makily...wishing we could close up the office and be with you guys. Your story as touched so many people, and you have met so many people, and I still see great things you in your future...I know this time of the year is hard for you, but you are so blessed for what you do have. I love you guys dearly and if there is anyting I can do for you please do not hesitate to ask.!
I get it, but in a different way. You see, I'm raising my disabled GRAND daughter. My children were grown, and I was done - or so I thought. My daughter can not emotionally, physically, or financially take care of our little Brianna, so my husband and I stepped up to the task.
You are a wonderful mom. I know that, and yet, I don't know you. I believe what you are feeling is normal - particularly around her birthday. Tomorrow, or next week, or next month, will be brighter. Trust that.
Julie - Brianna's Grandma
Wow, were you reading my mind here? These are all the same feelings I have had since Joshua's diagnosis as well. Everything from prior to his birth and diagnosis to the dreaded "label". In California, they had to change his label at the age of 3. Ugh! As far as the label goes, I know Josh is a lot smarter than they give him credit for and I'm sure that Makily is too. I have decided that I am going to just look at it as a means to an end...getting him the services and education that he needs to grow and thrive. I told the IEP team as such and said that due to the negative social connotation of that word, that I wish the "government" would come up with a new way of approaching it. I was told that they can no longer use developmental delay, because for some families it has given them promise that their child is only delayed and will eventually catch up. How I wish I could put my rose colored glasses back on some days. I too want people to see Josh the way I see him and the way you see Makily. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who do see our kids the way we do.<3 Hugs to you!
Post a Comment