Sunday, March 22, 2009

Goodbye Bryant.



Another member of our "chromosome family" has passed away.

Bryant went to sleep and never awoke yesterday morning.

He was 20 years old.

I met Bryant and his mother Cheryl at the Chromosome 22 conference in Canada in 2006. He had an even RARER genetic condition than Makily. He had a translocation of 3, 7 and 11. (Makily's involves 11 and 22)

They told his parents he most likely would not survive.

He lived 20 years.

I believe he lived that long because of the dedication both his parents had to him. Dave and Cheryl worked incredibly hard to give Bryant the best quality of life possible. I also believe that Bryant had a strong spirit and amazing will to live. His mother was/is a fervent advocate for him. She showed me what it is to fight for the rights of your child.

They took Bryant EVERYWHERE. Each time I saw a photo of him he was at Disney World, the beach, a hockey game, the mall, ........you name it Bryant was there.

Bryant did have many physical challenges in his life. He is now free of the pain and difficulties that he faced on this earth.

That being said I know his family desperately misses him. I know they are heart broken and left wondering what to do with themselves. Cheryl has taken care of him for so long, I can't imagine what it is like for her right now.

Please keep this family in your prayers as they mourn the loss of their son and brother.

To Bryant's family, words cannott express how terribly sorry I am for your incredible loss. I know that your hearts are broken and you don't understand. I am thinking and praying for you. Thank you for being an example of what it is to adovocate for your child, to never give up and to always love unconditionally. My heart is with you. Bryant will never be forgotten.

BRYANT'S BLOG

Rest in Peace Bryant.

Bryant at the beach with his mom Cheryl


I just wanted to add something. I am always amazed at how strongly our children are connected. Bryant passed away ON Maia's 14 birthday. This is not the first and I am sure won't be the last time I have seen a connection such as this with our children.


**I know my blog has been rather down lately. My last entry was not a "cheery" one and obviously this one isn't either. I won't apologize because THIS IS REAL LIFE, sometimes it's terribly sad and hard. If I am nothing else, I am real on my blog though. This is ME. I hope that in sharing the harder things others (INCLUDING MYSELF) will appreciate each and every blessing they have even more.
HUGE THANKS TO ALL THE AMAZING comments on my last entry...I plan on thanking you in depth in another entry but, right now I want to honor Bryant and his family.**

2 comments:

Jaime said...

May Bryant rest in peace, and I hope he loved every minute of his wonderful life.

michelle hays said...

Their legacy will leave a precedent in many lives. Its a truly remarkable story of love, perseverance and overcoming odds.

Bryant was not just "one more case" He was a life lesson for many.