
Many of my Facebook friends had been wondering where I went. I had several comments and messages today when I got home.
I debated on if I should share this part of my life with everyone. I went back and forth about it. One thing I learned in the last week though was that I have to AND WILL stop worrying about what everyone else thinks. Ultimately the ONLY person I should be worried about is Allen and what HE thinks.
Everyone else can pound sand if they don't like me or something I do or have done...or will do.
Also I know that someone may happen upon this entry that is feeling how I was feeling and hopefully it will encourage them to get help.
Sunday my anxiety got to a point that I couldn't stop seeing visions of slitting my wrists and blowing my head off. The latter was so vivid that I would see myself put the gun to my head, pull the trigger and watch as my head jerked backwards from the bullet.
I woke up that morning with anxiety so bad that my chest PHYSICALLY hurt. It's been that way for a while but typically something needed to trigger it. Sunday morning I literally opened my eyes from sleeping and my chest was so heavy I immediately wanted to cry. The visions were worse and wouldn't go away.
At this point I told Allen I needed help.
He called The Vines and they said they only had ONE bed open and it was a Baker Act bed.
sigh.
The only other place in our area is known to be horrible and I refused to go there.
At this point I started screaming and crying that I wasn't going AT ALL. I didn't understand why it had to be so difficult and embarrassing. Why did we have to involve the police? I was so ashamed.
Eventually I agreed we would go to The Vines and Allen would go to the desk and just tell them his wife was in the car and was suicidal.
This was honestly one of the saddest and lowest moments of my life.
The secretary told Allen we would have to call the police and have me Baker Acted to get me in the door.
I personally think this is ridiculous but we had no other options so Allen called the police.
My sister Elizabeth sat with me while Allen made the call. I was on the verge of a panic attack the entire time. I was just beside myself.
The cop came and luckily he was really nice and made it as painless as he possibly could for me.
I was admitted about an hour later.
I was there for six days. I could have left on Tuesday as my 72 hour hold was up but decided to stay until the doctors though I was ready to go home.
I have story upon stories to share about my experience but those will be separate blog entries. Some of them are incredibly heart wrenching while others will leave you laughing hysterically.
For now I will say that I feel better than I have mentally IN YEARS. I had two wonderful therapists that were amazing with me. My Effexor dosage was increased and they added Abilify which seems to have worked wonders.
To those who called and Allen avoided you please understand that we had not discussed if we were going to tell anyone what was going on. In fact I was so embarrassed on Sunday he knew not to say a word. He was at a loss at what to say.
Monday, May 28, 2012
I Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.
Posted by Patyrish at 5/28/2012 09:39:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
I'm sure people will have opinions on this, but damn, to you I say BRAVO for taking the initiative to get yourself help when you knew you needed it. You have SO MUCH to deal with in your life, beyond what's on this blog, and no one should judge you negatively for getting some help. I'm glad to know that it was a positive experience for you! And welcome back to your blog. You were missed.
You know, each time I read your blog I think you are stronger. The ability to understand and act on what was going on makes me proud of you, that it came to that makes me sad for you.....but I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better. Love you!!
I've been there....but you were so much braver than I was....I never told anyone, and quite honesty I am surprised that I am still here today! I knew the exact place that I was going to drive off of the road in the canyon that I had to drive through every day when driving home.
My heart goes out to you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you did! Life just seems to be too much sometimes....good for you for reaching out!!
I know that we've never met, but you are an amazing mama! Keep your chin up!
I love your open honesty and heart. I am not yet able to put into words about my feelings. I have been where you have been and some days I am still there. They stress of what my daughter is going through has me there again and my anxiety is so high, I dream of going to sleep and never waking up. But, I can do nothing at this point, because I have to be strong for my daughter, whom at 10yrs old is developing Schizo Affective Disorder. I am so glad that you decided to go get help. I need to and will once I know that she is as okay as she will ever be. My prayers are with you. I love your openness and in the end others who suffer will open up and seek help also. Big Hugs!!!
I will message you privately but I want you to know that I'm very proud of you and I love you. I have missed you. Sending lots of love and hugs!! <3
This just proves how strong you really are. So many hugs to you and your beautiful family!!
good for you. i just started some anti-depression meds myself. it's hard to reach out.
I can't begin to even understand what it is you deal with on a daily basis...you are so strong, but I can say I have struggled with anxiety for quite a long time. Recently it got so bad that I did the same thing. My attacks were overwhelming me and it felt like I couldn't escape it... some days (for over a week) they were lasting ALL day. I literally could not function and the depression that went along with feeling that way and having such awful, "not me" thoughts was too much for me to handle. I'm still working on it, but hoping to be going the right direction. I'm with ya girl and I love and admire you.
Post a Comment