Makily goes back to pre-k next week.
I had been told two weeks ago that they were changing the pre-k schedule.
Last year Makily went Mon-Fri 7:45-2:05. She got PT twice a week, OT twice a week and Speech twice a week.
This year I was told that they were splitting the day. The new kids coming into pre-k would be there in the morning from 7:45-11:00 and the returning kids would be there 11:00-2:05.
There have been budget cuts here in Florida and I knew things were getting cut. I am disgusted that one of the things they decided to cut was the developmental pre-k program.
The schools get MUCH more money per student if they have special needs.
So while they are getting more money for the special kids, their program is the first that is cut.
How is that fair?
I also feel for the parents that work. I am sure they all depended on their kids being in school from 7:45-2:05. It's RIDICULOUS to give these parents two weeks notice that their child will ONLY get half a day now. I am sure they are all scrambling trying to find transportation, babysitters or daycare. I can imagine this will be financially straining on parents that ALREADY have a financial strain due to their child's special needs.
Why is it that these kids and families are ALWAYS dumped on?
I was frustrated for Makily also. She has SIX sessions of therapy a week at school. They are each 30-60 minutes. If she is only at school for three hours, she will be gone in therapy more than she is in the class learning socialization and other educational things.
I spoke with her teacher on Monday. I had not received a letter explaining what Makily's schedule would be (it was all preliminary when I first heard about it). Makily's teacher told me I did not get a letter because Makily will be attending a full day. She said she told "them" the same thing I said. That Makily has too many therapies for her to only be coming for three hours a day.
Somehow "they" agreed and are letting her go the full day.
I am thrilled for her. At this point Makily is the only child at her school in the pre-k program that is being allowed to do this! :-)
She's special in SO many ways!
She has REALLY been impressing me in speech the last several weeks. I can't get over how smart she is.
We are using a picture board system with her (otherwise known as PECS Picture Exchange Communication System). They worked on it in school last year and Elon and I have been really pushing it in therapy now.
We have a board for pictures of her toys. We have a board for "all done" and "more".
Yesterday there were two pictures of two different toys. One picture was of some blocks (which Makily would NEVER pick, she hates blocks), the other was of a light up, singing toy with animals. She immediately starting patting the picture of the light up toy. We would play with it for a while and then take it away. Then Elon would show her the board with the choices "all done" (with the words and a person signing it in the picture) or "more". She consistently would pick "more". I can see her thinking and watching your mouth as you talk to her. She tries to mimic the same movements and grins the whole time. She is also vocalizing when prompted. NO words but lots of "ahhhhhhs". She seems to be "ahh'ing" in the right pattern and even the right numbers of "ahhhhs" in response to you. You can see how hard she is trying and how much it's taking for her to get the sounds out. There are a few times her sounds came out of as a whisper which really reminded me of another little girl with Emanuel Syndrome. It's neat to me to see these children with some of the same mannerisms and "quirks".
What really impressed me is that she consistently picked the correct pictures when asked. At one point we moved the picture of her light up toy to a different place on her board. She went to pick it on the board and look confused when it was not in the same place. Then she found it and patted it like CRAZY!
So I have many pictures to work with her now at home. I have pictures of her toys, family members and such and will start working with her 2-4 pictures at a time. I have to work on her accuracy as far as touching right on the picture. She starts to "patt" in the direction of what she wants until she patts over to the picture. We want her to be able to go right to the picture and even REACH up to the top of the board eventually. Right now Makily "patting" is her way to communicate everything.
She also started clapping last week.
This kid rocks.
This is what Makily's board looks like.....kind of. Right now we are only using FOUR pictures. Hopefully we can work up to using this many!

I had been told two weeks ago that they were changing the pre-k schedule.
Last year Makily went Mon-Fri 7:45-2:05. She got PT twice a week, OT twice a week and Speech twice a week.
This year I was told that they were splitting the day. The new kids coming into pre-k would be there in the morning from 7:45-11:00 and the returning kids would be there 11:00-2:05.
There have been budget cuts here in Florida and I knew things were getting cut. I am disgusted that one of the things they decided to cut was the developmental pre-k program.
The schools get MUCH more money per student if they have special needs.
So while they are getting more money for the special kids, their program is the first that is cut.
How is that fair?
I also feel for the parents that work. I am sure they all depended on their kids being in school from 7:45-2:05. It's RIDICULOUS to give these parents two weeks notice that their child will ONLY get half a day now. I am sure they are all scrambling trying to find transportation, babysitters or daycare. I can imagine this will be financially straining on parents that ALREADY have a financial strain due to their child's special needs.
Why is it that these kids and families are ALWAYS dumped on?
I was frustrated for Makily also. She has SIX sessions of therapy a week at school. They are each 30-60 minutes. If she is only at school for three hours, she will be gone in therapy more than she is in the class learning socialization and other educational things.
I spoke with her teacher on Monday. I had not received a letter explaining what Makily's schedule would be (it was all preliminary when I first heard about it). Makily's teacher told me I did not get a letter because Makily will be attending a full day. She said she told "them" the same thing I said. That Makily has too many therapies for her to only be coming for three hours a day.
Somehow "they" agreed and are letting her go the full day.
I am thrilled for her. At this point Makily is the only child at her school in the pre-k program that is being allowed to do this! :-)
She's special in SO many ways!
She has REALLY been impressing me in speech the last several weeks. I can't get over how smart she is.
We are using a picture board system with her (otherwise known as PECS Picture Exchange Communication System). They worked on it in school last year and Elon and I have been really pushing it in therapy now.
We have a board for pictures of her toys. We have a board for "all done" and "more".
Yesterday there were two pictures of two different toys. One picture was of some blocks (which Makily would NEVER pick, she hates blocks), the other was of a light up, singing toy with animals. She immediately starting patting the picture of the light up toy. We would play with it for a while and then take it away. Then Elon would show her the board with the choices "all done" (with the words and a person signing it in the picture) or "more". She consistently would pick "more". I can see her thinking and watching your mouth as you talk to her. She tries to mimic the same movements and grins the whole time. She is also vocalizing when prompted. NO words but lots of "ahhhhhhs". She seems to be "ahh'ing" in the right pattern and even the right numbers of "ahhhhs" in response to you. You can see how hard she is trying and how much it's taking for her to get the sounds out. There are a few times her sounds came out of as a whisper which really reminded me of another little girl with Emanuel Syndrome. It's neat to me to see these children with some of the same mannerisms and "quirks".
What really impressed me is that she consistently picked the correct pictures when asked. At one point we moved the picture of her light up toy to a different place on her board. She went to pick it on the board and look confused when it was not in the same place. Then she found it and patted it like CRAZY!
So I have many pictures to work with her now at home. I have pictures of her toys, family members and such and will start working with her 2-4 pictures at a time. I have to work on her accuracy as far as touching right on the picture. She starts to "patt" in the direction of what she wants until she patts over to the picture. We want her to be able to go right to the picture and even REACH up to the top of the board eventually. Right now Makily "patting" is her way to communicate everything.
She also started clapping last week.
This kid rocks.
This is what Makily's board looks like.....kind of. Right now we are only using FOUR pictures. Hopefully we can work up to using this many!


4 comments:
Go Makily! We have been doing the same thing with Jackson. We have taken tons of pictures and his speech therapist enlarged and laminated them for us. He is picking out the picture to go with the object! I am very encouraged developmentally if not physically. Jackson is a limp noodle. I can't get much out of him in this department. I am so impressed with you. Always after a sad blog you pick yourself back up and find a way to be amazed by Makily. Thanks for being an inspiration! Have a great day
First of all, LOOOOVE the pic of the little princess. I'm so proud of her and her PECS. Hats off to you for practicing at home. I already knew she was smart though!
Way to go kiddo - and kudos for avoiding the budget cuts...she IS a smart cookie - they all hide it from us, ya know. AND might I say you look like a fine little princess in that beautiful outfit! Mommy sure does take good care of you....you're a rockin' mom, Trish.
tara said..
i agree with the others you ARE A phenomenal parent and so is allen. Just keep hope alive that every day/week/month/year Makily is getting stronger and smarter and will keep surprising us! I miss her so much, that's my girl!
Post a Comment