I have often said this to my grandmother and mom "maybe WE are the weird ones and everyone else is normal". People are just strange. This weekend we went to Light up Ocala. It was a family type event with lots of kids, balloons, face painting etc...... I like to go to these types of things because it gives me some sense of normalcy if you will. Anyway we got there early so as to beat the rush and get a good spot to sit. We sit down...I get Makily all settled in her stroller. Allen and I went and got her a red balloon. We came back and tied it to her stroller and she watched it move with the wind. It was cute. Anyway some "quality" people came and sat behind us. Sometimes I am a little apprehensive taking Makily out around so many people because well germs are a big concern as is the dreaded....smoker. Makily has 2 holes in her heart, chronic lung and respiratory issues...so needless to say I am VERY protective of what type of air she breathes! I also realize that I can't keep Makily in a bubble, she needs to experience life to the fullest and I made her that promise a long time ago. Well after a while the lady behind us lights up. I didnt know it was her at first....just kept smelling it and being VERY ANNOYED. I tried to ignore it and I would cover Makily's stoller with a blanket (i know probably wasnt doing much to keep her from inhaling the fumes but it made me feel better) when the smell got bad. Well some local band got up to play....they were awful but I was enjoying it just the same...when I get a pat on my shoulder. I turn around and the lady behind me says "can you do something with that balloon". I am immediately annoyed because at this point I HAD already figured out she was the "smoker", rudely smoking 3 feet from my baby but in order to keep the peace I had kept my mouth shut. My mom and I somehow got it untied and tied it to the bottem of the stroller. We wanted to make sure that our rude smoker could see well. I told Allen it was all I could do NOT to tell her to take her cancer sticks and smoke them elsewhere but again to keep the peace I was nice. The night went on with her nasty smoke blowing in our direction and me putting up the blanket and taking the blanket down from Makily's stoller. It was time for Makily to eat so when I hooked her up to the feeding pump I tried to make it very obvious what I was doing(usually I am overly discreet)......or at least make this woman realize we had a medically needy kid. I know that to look at Makily your average Joe wouldnt recognize she had problems so I wanted to let this woman know. She watched me hook up the pump....I could see her out of the corner of my eye. Then she lit up another AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Later on a friend of mine's mom came by to say Hello....I had the blanket up because black lung woman was sucking on another one. I lifted the blanket while saying loudly "I have this blanket up because Makily can't handle all the cigarrette smoke here!!" THANKFULLY the woman moved about 20 minutes later. I think she may have gotten the hint. I just find it hard to believe that an adult in this day and age would smoke around ANY baby or child.....isnt it common sense that it's rude? I mean come on, you are blowing smoke around a precious child who certainly doesnt have the ability to defend theirself. I realize once again that maybe I am the weird one and everyone else is normal. My last run in with abnormality came near the end of our night. I was walking back to my seat......at this point things were VERY crazy because everyone in Ocala had gotten there and so it was crowded. I politely said my "excuse me and pardon me's" through the standing crowd to get to my seat. I get to a group of people that are dressed nicely....then I find myself standing behind a man and saying "excuse me" about 800 times....he never moved or acknowleged me. Finally the guy behind me that was in this group says "we will be moving in a moment and you can stand here then". I said I have a seat up front and I don't want to stand in your space. He then said "well there is a path right there go that way"....I look at where he is pointing and the anger rose up in me like I cannott begin to describe. There is a small area where I could have walked, well navigated and it was over a LADY IN A WHEELCHAIR!!!!! I just looked at him when I realized he expected me to climb over a wheelchair occupant rather than just tell his buddy to step to the side. I said "sir that's really rude to step over people like that". Well the kind wheelchair lady said "come on honey don't worry about me....step right over me, just be careful you don't fall and hurt yourself". I was enraged but to be kind to this lady I carefully made my way around her and through the crowd back to my seat. Why on earth would that man not just move 1 foot out of the way rather than watch me navigate my way through that? I changed my mind again....i am normal, HE WASNT.
Monday, November 21, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Hi! I am fascinated by your story and I think you and your dh are wonderful, amazing people. And Makily is absolutely beautiful! Ok, that said, girl, you need to open your mouth and tell some folks off when the need arises. It never has to be a rude thing, but speak your mind! No one should be smoking in a crowded space even if there are no children around.
Good luck with everything. :)
~NYCitymom
Post a Comment