We have so much fun around here lately.
Let's see.........where to start?
Makily has developed diarrhea. Her poop is no longer normal poo. It's watery and yesterday had little white blobs in it? I know too much information right? My only guess is that it's from the increase in Topomax...which by the way we still have not gone ALL the way up to the dose they want her on. I pretty much can guarantee though that if I call neuro about it they will say it's not from the Topomax because my understanding is that diarrhea is NOT a side effect. I am convinced that it IS the Topomax though because well that is the ONLY thing that has changed.
I don't really want to try and change her seizure meds right now since they are suspicious of new seizure activity. I would hate to wean her off one to wean her up to another and chance her having a massive seizure. I sort of would like her off the Topomax and on something else (because it could be causing the infrequent urinary retention) but again I don't want to risk a seizure at least until she's had the 24 hour EEG and it comes back normal (assuming it comes back normal ).
I say all that to say this.....I really don't think she is having any new seizure activity. I know I sound lame and maybe in denial a little since the EEG DID indicate her brain is mis firing, she is sleepier lately and she had that weird episode at school. I really don't know. I start to think about going back to the original Topomax dose because I really DON'T believe she is having an issue but on the other hand if she had a seizure after I did that I would NEVER forgive myself.
BANG HEAD HERE!
If I sound non chalant about all this, I guess it's because I kind of am just getting used to this crap. I almost don't even panic anymore. I have noticed that I have changed A LOT in that respect. I am not surprised that all this is going on. I am not making myself totally sick over it because I really can't do anything about it except what I am already doing. I find myself shaking my head saying "yea of course there is all kinds of new weird crap going on with Makily.....of course.....this is just normal for us". We have a stretch of "everything is fine" and then weird stuff happens with this kid. I just hate it for her, because I feel like she has enough to deal with just on a daily basis and so it makes me a little angry that every now and then she has more things added to the pile.
sigh
In other news Allen has been tentatively diagnosed with Diabetes.
sigh
No, I am not kidding.
We just recently established with a new doctor. Allen went in for blood work early last week. Doctor says his fasting blood sugar was high....it wasn't horribly high so I didn't panic at first but his HGB A1C was elevated also and well that basically confirms Diabetes.
So Monday he goes in for a Glucose Tolerance Test and that will give us a gauge of how severe it is or is not (I am thinking it's not that bad). My hope is that the GTT comes back borderline and that we can try to get things under control with diet and excersize. I would rather HE NOT be put on medications. The doctor agreed with that and said Allen is too young for him to commit to medications. Allen is a truck driver so he eats what he can when he can. He also has a horrible addiction to Mountain Dew.....obviously NOT good for someone who is a suspected Diabetic. So we have stopped Mountain Dew altogether........Allen is not thrilled but he knows he has to be healthy for the rest of us as well as himself.
Saturday, May 16, 2009
Never a Dull Moment.
Posted by Patyrish at 5/16/2009 09:04:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
JEEZ! You guys have a lot on your plate. Hoping everything turns out OK and that you can maybe have some peace.
Love,
Sami
samisjourney.blogspot.com
Prayers for all of you! Definitely a good call on the Mountain Dew (and all other caffeine if you can)! Praying for good health and peace for all of you!
Ugh, sorry for the crap storm friend. Sometimes it seems to just not stop. Hoping you get the topomax thing figured out. Seizure meds suck. :( Hugs-
Go with your mommmy gut...remember doctors have what I like to call "broad spectrum knowledge"...they know a little about a lot of diseases....
Mommies have A LOT of info on ONE OR TWO diseases/disorders...
which apply to their own kids;)
I would find it HIGHLY UNLIKEY that the meds are **not** causing the BM's to change...
I feel for you...we just added our 8th med....and now I have to go get the dreaded BMB for my own disease...YUCK...oh, and if it makes Allen feel better, David is already on Cholesterol meds and hes only 34:( Crazy!!!
Davids a Dr pepper man (as you and I are) but this guy can down a can faster than you can blink...so unhealthy!!!!
Mine and Irelands fasting blood sugar was in the FORTIES!!! Nuts...
Holy Crap! Your life sounds alot like mine. Hang in there darlin. Your not in it alone, believe me.
Post a Comment