Thursday, May 07, 2009

I can never fully relax with this kid....never.

I don't have a bunch of time but wanted to update real quick.

Monday Makily had an EEG w/Neuro. She's had one every six months since the seizure.

The last visit with the Neuro he explained that she was on a very low dose of meds, had good EEG's and CT's since the seizure and he wanted one more good EEG. As long as that was okay he suggested we start weaning the meds.

Well it wasn't okay.

sigh

I had a message from the doctor himself on my phone yesterday.

I knew it couldn't be good because all her other EEG's I just got a thing in the mail saying "normal EEG".

I called back today and spoke to the doctor. He said that Makily's EEG was abnormal. They didn't see a seizure but her brain is mis-firing. He asked if we had noticed a difference in Makily lately and I said she has been sleepier. He said those mis-fires could cause seizures..possibly (and I have questioned if she had these type in the past) absence seizures...which could in turn cause the excessive sleepiness.

sigh

He upped her medication and is working with the insurance company now to set up a 24 hour video EEG. He said he wants to catch the mis-fires and see if they also see a seizure. She'll need to be in the hospital for 48 hours but hooked up to the EEG for 24 (that is going to be a load of fun by the way).

When we hung up, I cried. I have told myself time and time again to not get too relaxed about ANYTHING when it comes to Doodles but I guess when things are good for so long....I trick myself into believing that Makily is just fine.

Harsh reality is that she will never be "just fine".

I hate HATE the extra chromosome she has.

One tiny piece of genetic material can really mess up your body.

It can really wreak havoc on so many lives.

I wish I could give her back every single thing this stupid gene has taken from her.

4 comments:

my life: said...

I know that this is NOT the same thing but...I get it. I feel the same way about Grace's heart. She is having problems following her open heart surgery...they told us that she wouldn't need anymore repairs. She is now in what's called SVT which means she will more than likely, need another heart repair. :0(
It's like it is never over...you never feel "safe".

I'm sorry your beautiful girl is going through this...she is in our prayers...as are you.

Chontee said...

Yep...we talked about this the other day..one stupid little chromosome issue... IT SUCKS!! I asked my husband the othe night, "Why can't they just give her what is not there...seriously?" I know it is not that simple, but it sure freakin sounds good! Is her 24 hour EEG going to be here or in Orlando? Let me know so I can help with J. You know I am always here to talk..not that I am much help because I end up just crying with you or vice versa, but it's all good! I love you girl!

PS.. And are'nt you so happy I made this little account to comment your blog =)

PSS.. Are you going to Cirque Du Soleil tonight? I am writing all this like I never talk to you, HAHA!

sami2009 said...

Oh Trish, I'm so sorry. I know it is incredibly discouraging. Please know I will be praying for you guys. Doodles will be OK, what the chromosome has taken away from her you gave to her in love.
Love, Sami
samisjourney.blogspot.com

Stephanie said...

Hey, I was reading in another post that Makily had been turned down for Social Security because your income was too high. Have you ever reapplied? We are in Florida too, near Geneva. My munchkin has Down's and gets SSI. The staff where he was born at Arnold Palmer explained to me that any child with a medically proven genetic "syndrome" automatically qualifies. If your income is too high, she may not get the cash benefits, but she would still get Medicaid. Before my husband got laid off this year we had private insurance and medicaid picked up the rest (deductibles, co-pays). Now he gets full Medipass thru Medicaid and they have been wonderful about covering most everything. For example, my son uses a mic-key, like Makily used to, and medicaid pays for a new one every month, plus all his supplies, his afo's, oxygen, monitors, everything. If you haven't already, reapply and make sure they know about her genetic syndrome.