A few weekends ago we and the Teals went to Sonny's for lunch. We are a loud bunch. I alone am loud so add three more adults to that along with four kids all five or under and well, we are a spectacle in a restaurant.
J was in rare form, he had skipped his nap and was eating his lunch late. Makily also was not being her usual Princess self. She was grumpy because her schedule was off.
Trishtwo leaned over to me and said "Those people keep looking at us". I take a quick glance back and sure enough the table behind us was looking. At first I shrugged it off thinking maybe they just were trying to figure out what kids belong to whom and if we would ever quiet down. Makily became so agitated though that Daddy had to take her out of her chair and hold her, she was hooked to the pump when he picked her up and her shirt went up. Her belly was exposed which obviously revealed she had a the feeding tube. It was more obvious because it was TAPED IN at the time. Seconds later Trishtwo again says "Gosh they are still looking at us, if they don't want to hear loud kids they shouldn't go to a family restaurant. I glance again and the Dad and I lock eyes for a brief second, I smile, say "Hi" and turn back around.
At this point I am CONVINCED they are gawking at Makily.
*sigh*
Trishtwo and I begin bantering back and forth about it quietly when Allen says "Hey do you two want to feel like real jerks"?
I say "not really but tell me anyway".
He says "They are bolus feeding the baby behind you".
I felt the blood rush to my head as I turned around quickly to see that Allen was telling the truth. I also noticed the baby had trache ties around her neck.
Usually I have radar for this, how did I miss it!?
I quickly realize that they probably thought WE were staring AT THEM just like we thought THEY were staring AT US.
THE IRONY.
So I whisper to Trishtwo "Should I say something? I can't stand it...I HAVE to say something".
I turn around and say "Hi, that is my daughter Makily she is hooked up to a feeding pump right now, how are you".
Talk about an ice breaker huh?
The whole table started laughing and admitted they had assumed we were staring at them because the Dad was feeding her....plus she had the trache and they get stupid comments about her all the time.
We talked back and forth, they told me about their little girl who was THE CUTEST LITTLE PEANUT EVER! She was reaching her hand out to me as I was talking to them. So sweet. She had many of the same complications and surgeries that Makily has had. It was refreshing to talk to them. I gave the mom my email address and blog addy. She contacted me this week.
WHAT ARE THE CHANCES THAT TWO TUBE FEEDING KIDS WOULD BE SEATING RIGHT NEXT TO ONE ANOTHER?
Slim chance.......I happen to think our meeting was for a reason.
What that reason is, I don't know.....I'll just add it to my list of one of those "things".
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
It's not always about me.
Posted by Patyrish at 4/21/2009 06:10:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Shortly after Mila got her NG tube... I was approached by another tube feeding mama. In a restaurant.
An hour later? Someone rushed over to the table and said " i read your blog! ".... and asked where we'd been ( off having heart surgery! )
small, small world.
Hi, I just landed on your blog by accident... I don't even remember what I was searching for... OH YEAH! I was looking for that "Bang your head here" poster.
I have now been reading your blog for 2 hours... it's now 4 am.
I just wanted to say that I'm glad that it turned right for you, really.
Yeah, everything do happen for a reason. This very knowledge and wisdom that you have acquired from all of this are that reason. Such an experience is priceless for a soul.
Again, I'm happy to see how it turned out. I wish you the best of lucks.
That is hilarious! I've never encountered another tube-feeding kiddo anywhere, besides in the hospital/doctors.
I hope they come to your blog and perhaps you can become friends!
oh now thats just too funny!! i used to feel self conscious when i had to bolus feed josie in public and the pump has cut down on that feeling but still feel stares sometimes. solidarity girls...
Haha oh nooo. It sounds like this time when this man was staring at me, and I was getting really irritated at him, and then he stood up and he had an artificial leg. Awkwarrrd.
Dang woman, you have not posted in a week =).
Jillian's brothers are 8 and 5 years older than her. The stares didn't bother Joshua, the eldest, but it really upset Joel, the middle child. When we were out and had someone staring at us we had a signal. Whoever spotted them first would let the rest of us know quietly "stare alert, 4:00" which inconspicuously let all four of us know their location. Then on the count of 3 we would all turn and return the stares at the same time. It was a lot of fun!!
that's so awesome sweetie. I love meeting people with tube kiddos. One lady approached me at the sno cone stand after watching me/Luke and she had her 7 year old daughter and immediatley said "karen..pull up your shirt so the nice lady can see your gbutton". LOL..poor girl! So funny. God is good!
Post a Comment