Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Would the WHY of it even matter anymore!?

*Disclaimer: I realize this is a come back post of sorts but it is seriously depressing. This is how I'm feeling lately and I know that writing these things out helps me IMMENSELY. Read at your own risk.*

I wish you could have been born a healthy little girl. I wish you didn't have to suffer and I wish it didn't end this way. I miss you my little Princess. --Roni Hughes to her angel Alayah.


I have struggled a lot the past year with WHY.

Obviously I will always question why Makily was born with Emanuel Syndrome. That is something that I will never understand. I think for me though the moment that I began to struggle with my faith and my belief in god is when I realized that no matter the WHY of it, nothing would ever justify Makily not having the life she deserves.

Even if God himself came down from Heaven and said "Patricia, Makily has Emanuel Syndrome because xyz." It still would not make me feel better.

I would still be angry at him for it.

As a person who was raised in church, that was baptized at MY request at age five, and that has prayed on my hands and knees for years, it's hard to grasp and admit you are angry at God and that at times you don't even know if he is or ever was there.

Just typing that made me cringe and I'm not even sure if I will have the guts to publish this post.

I think maybe I have seen too much. Too much pain, heartache and hurt. Too many INNOCENT children suffering, too many dying as their parents are left here...with empty arms and broken hearts.

The quote that started this post was about a baby girl that died Sunday evening. She was only a couple of months old, had Emanuel Syndrome and never was able to leave the hospital. Her mother was just 18. She handled the immense pressure of having a baby with all of the medical problems Alayah had better than I think I did when Makily was born and I was 26. I watched as Roni matured in what seemed like overnight.

Then Alayah died.

I want to know why God put Roni through that. Why would he allow sweet Alayah to suffer and endure all she did and then take her away?

...and again there is no answer that would justify it in my eyes. I doubt there is one for Roni and Alayah's Dad Thomas either.

My friend and soul sister Stephanie has a daughter Maia with Emanuel Syndrome. Maia of course was born with the myriad of problems that comes with ES. They've been through surgeries, procedures, doctors, illnesses etc etc etc. Maia began having rages and screaming fits for hours on end when she was about 10 or 11. She is now 15 and they have tried many medications to help her (along with the side effects of each medication), she's had MRI's, CT's, blood tests you name it. Stephanie has had doctors accuse her of just not wanting to deal with her "retarded child". Reality is that I have seen videos of these fits and Maia's rages and it absolutely breaks my heart.

They now think Maia has Limbic Rage.

It's basically a disorder in the mid brain caused by what I believe in Maia's case is a lack of oxygen to the brain for a period of time (and with our kids their airways and respiratory system are so fragile at birth they very well have gone without enough oxygen to their brains for periods of time during a crisis). Limbic Rage causes the exact symptoms that Maia has. Rage, screaming, anger, hallucinations, violence and the list goes on and on.

It's bad enough that Maia has Emanuel Syndrome. God...can you explain to me why ON TOP of that she has to have THIS disorder too? Can you imagine what it must be like for Maia when she goes through these rages? Can you imagine how confused and scared she must make herself? What about what it has been like for Stephanie and Martin to watch their little girl go from the happy giggly child she once was to the screaming, angry one that seems trapped in her own mind and body....unreachable.

As many of you know a friend of mine passed away two years ago. Carrie Hammer and I had known each other for years. Her son Brennan was born with severe cerebral palsy. She and her husband Sean dealt with numerous medical complications and hospitalizations. They did it together as team though. They were making the best of it. Then Carrie died in the car accident. She drowned trying to help Sean get the suction machine they needed to suction out Brennan's trache after he had gone under the water after the crash.

Why did God let that happen?

Sean is now left with three children one of which is very medically fragile. I can't imagine the challenge he faces EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I have the utmost respect for him because he has just kept going. He continues to get up every day and take care of those kids when I am sure there are days he would rather stay in bed and not deal with anything......

....and again I am not sure there could be a reason why that God could give me that would make that situation "okay" in my eyes.

I could go on and on with situations like this. I won't though because it would just be depressing and I think this post is depressing enough as it is.

Great come back post btw huh? Now all my readers will be running to the nearest window and wanting to hurl themselves out of it. SORRY BOUT THAT GUYS, this is where I'm at right now.

I've heard so many smarmy lines since I had Makily. Cliches that at one time actually DID make me feel better.

"Oh your a special person, you are so strong, God wouldn't have given her to you if he didn't think you could handle it"

Bullshit.

How many babies are born to drug addicted mothers? The baby is then tossed into foster care and sometimes are bounced back and forth. Obviously those mother's couldn't handle be mother's to those babies and God gave them to them anyway.

I am no better or stronger than your average person. I am Makily's mother and am only doing what a "normal" parent does when thrown into a situation like this. I had no choice and neither did Allen. It is what it is and we had no option OTHER THAN to deal with it and try to make the best of it. Believe me there were times I didn't want to deal with it and would have rather laid down and died. Thankfully Allen, my family, medication and my love for Makily kept me from doing that.

"Everything happens for a reason, THERE IS a reason Makily has Emanuel Syndrome look at all the lives she has touched and people she has changed".

I agree with this. Makily has touched many people and changed many lives, probably more than I will ever know or be able to grasp in my lifetime. That being said WHY SHOULD MAKILY have to suffer, endure and be cheated out of so many experiences to change someone else? She deserves to experience EVERYTHING that is good in this world and she won't. I was at the park with her the other day pushing her on the swing. I found myself scanning the place for anything else she physically would be able to do. There was nothing. Then I started thinking how I wish I could figure out a way to strap her to me, then I would do all those things and it would be like SHE was getting to experience them (although I'm sure I'd look like an idiot sliding down the toddler slide with a six year old strapped to me). I suddenly realized how sad and depressing that thought was and had to fight back tears.

So my friends this is one of the reasons I have not been able to write. I prided myself for so long on being able to be positive (mostly) about Makily's having Emanuel Syndrome. I wanted to help other parents see the good side of things. For a while now though, I just have not felt that I could BE the positive inspirational person I wanted to be. I can't pretend to understand and be okay with all these things. That's just not me.

Maybe writing THESE feelings out though will help someone else and maybe someone will say something in response to this entry that will be a light bulb moment for me.

I don't know.

I doubt it.

















15 comments:

Kathryn said...

There are times when spoken from the heart works better than anything else in the world, and this is one of those times. I honestly think your post will go a long way for parents who are just beginning their journey. Why in the world should any parent always be sunshine and buttercups? Not enough parents stand up and say how this is one big suck-fest, and when are we going to get some progress in seeing what else we can do to help our children? Bravo. And, I mean it.

Proud Mommy To An Angel said...

Thanks for posting this. I just recently posted a few posts with similar points. "There is a reason this happened." "You will have a house full of children one day." Right now, I can't see a good reason for this and who the hell knows if I can have anymore kids? Just thinking about how my own body rejected my child and caused him to die makes me want to throw up thinking about trying to have another baby. I know our situations are different but yet they are somewhat similar. I love you and appreciate your blogs. Please keep them coming!

Unknown said...

sending hugs...it's all I've got. I know when Braden died it took me a long time to realize that God didn't take him, or cause his death...but every time I cried, He cried with me, He loves me and Braden as much as someone can be loved, and he hurts for us. We didn't choose this, but we do have free will, and therefore live in an imperfect world. But when I hurt He feels it with me, He carries me, and I know this doesn't help but He hurts with you and would love to carry you.

Bella's mom said...

Trish...this is EXACTLY how I have been feeling lately. I have always believed in God, but after my miscarriages I just couldn't feel that connection...then after having Bella and finding out that she has Emanuel Syndrome...I just don't know...I haven't been able to step in church for a while now and make all kinds of excuses, but the reality it that my faith has faltered...I don't understand the why...and it makes me angry and so devastatingly sad. The thing is though I still pray every night...how hypocritical is that? I try to have hope and faith and look at the bright side of things, but then something like the death of one of our babies happens and the truth is there just is no bright side. Thanks for letting me know I am not alone!

Momma chaos said...

Thank you for showing up and posting again, even if it isn't a happy cheery post.. I've been worried about you and wondering how things were going. In fact, I started an email to you just yesterday but couldn't figure out the words to say and ultimately decided to leave you alone & you'd come back when you could.

I typed out a big long reply but deleted it and just wanted to say thank you for the post. I understand exactly what you're saving.

Hugs!

Meagan said...

sending you hugs.....I am glad to hear from you....I was worried!

Andrea "The H family" said...

I get it. I am really starting to loathe those people that say 'oh Andrea, you are so strong..that's why God gave you those 2 babies, I would never be as strong as you".
Yeah..ok, well, I've got news for you people..."You would eat bugs in a jungle if you had no food too". Get over yourself.
That's my stand today. It's actually getting worse.
Love you honey...I loved your post. It made me cry and to be honest..maybe more for myself. I get it.
Love you.
A

falison1234 said...

You are AMAZING. Do you know how many people just plug along pretending everything is "okay"? It's refreshing to see NORMALCY! You are NORMAL! HOORAY! Way too many parents (whether their kids have a disability or not) THINK they have to just suck it up and pretend that life is a bowl of cherries.
They think it's a sign of weakness to express they are having feelings. Wishing your child were different is such a taboo. Society has made it like this.
Other than my 9 yr old son having ADHD, my kids are 'healthy'. But I wish he didn't have ADHD. Does it mean I love him any less? Of COURSE not!
Thank you for being honest, not only with US, but with yourself as well.
This post shows more strength than any other post of "Oh, yeah. She has Emanuel Syndrome. We deal with it. We are loving doting parents. We take everything is stride."
Not that it's wrong to think that way. It's not. We just appreciate you are able to show REALITY. And like I said, you showing the reality shows strength!

Katie said...

I am sorry that things are so hard for you... it is no wonder that it is hard for you to write lately... My niece has Angelman Syndrome, and I know the pain her parents have gone through coming to terms with her diagnosis. It is not easy, and it may not ever get easier... but I pray that God gives you the strength to endure it!

michelle hays said...

Trish, one foot in front of the other. Dont let depression get the better of you. Crouched in a corner is definately not your place. Do what you do best, and live in spite of it all. How do i find you on facebook? Im Michelle hays. Can we be friends?

Anonymous said...

I have followed your website since Makily was three. I am sorry that you are struggling right now. Makily seems to be happy most of the time with the life she has. In the park, she was likely enjoying her ride on the swing rather than worrying about not being able to climb the equiptment. This thought might bring you some comfort (or it may not) I have done a lot of work with children with special needs and have future plans to be a researcher in special education. However, I do not live it 24/7 like you do so I cannot begin to understand what you are going through. However, one thing I have found helps is seeing each child as an individual and viewing them as intelligent and capable for their accomplishments, even if they are nowhere near where they should be for their age. They are intelligent in their own right, and therefore I don't compare them to typical children. For instance, Makily loves the water and Spongebob, can dance in her own way to music, is learning to pedal a special trike, and is learning th use PECs. That is a lot. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope Makily has the best life possible within the limitations of her disabilities.

Wendi Taylor said...

Okay... Please accept this in the kind and gentle spirit in which it is offered. I have read your blog for a long time, and I have commented a few times (mainly to let you know I'm not some crazy stalker, since I didn't find your blog until long after it was started & went back to read the older entries). Anyway...

I don't believe that God causes bad things to happen to us, and I don't believe that there is some great cosmic reason that Makily has the struggles that she does.

I believe that bad things happen because we live in a broken, fallen, sinful world. Please don't get me wrong - I am not saying that your sins are to blame; I am saying that our sins, collectively as a human race, have allowed negative, harmful things to come to us. It goes all the way back to the garden of Eden, when Eve at the apple, and allowed sin and death to enter the world.

God isn't a cosmic magician. He doesn't wave a wand and magically make all of our troubles go away. He does, however, promise to be with us and comfort us in this life and to someday wipe away all of our tears in a new and perfect world, where sin and death are no more.

He also tells us that all things work together for his glory. Even things that we see as tragedies. A child's death. A baby born with FAS or Emmanuel syndrome. A car wreck. Did God cause these things? No. Will he use them for a good and glorious purpose? Absolutely.

I believe that your blog has touched peoples' lives in ways that you may never even know. You don't have to be upbeat and inspiring, you don't have to be perfect, you just have to be yourself. Honesty is what God can use the best, and I absolutely believe he has and is doing so with your blog.

And with Makily's life. He didn't cause her to be the way she is for some great purpose, but he will use her as she is to do great things for his kingdom. That is his promise to us.

That is evident to me already. Look at her - remember there was a time when you did not know if she would survive the night, and how old is she now? God did not cause this to happen, but he has been with her (and you) through this all.

((( hugs )))

I pray this will lead you to the "lightbulb moment" you seek...

mom24babes said...

Hi! My name is Jennifer and I stumbled upon your video on youtube. I have never commented on someone's blog before but your story, your daughter, has touched my heart. I don't have any special words to give you a lightbulb moment. I can say though that you have such a beautiful little girl. I can tell by the photos and videos that she loves you...you can see it in her eyes when she looks at you. I cannot imagine how frustratating that it must be that she cannot be the little girl that you dream that she could be....she is the baby that she was meant to be.

One month after my middle daughter turned six she was diagnosed with cancer. It was the most crushing time of my life. I would look at her and fear for her, cry for her, want to scream out for her. Why??? Why her!!! Family, friends, and even strangers would try to comfort me. I wanted to yell at them and tell them how dare they try to tell me. They would get to go home to their healthy children and continue on with their lives while we were caught in a tornado of a life. I would cringe when I would see people coming toward me with that sympathetic look on their face. I wanted to take my baby and crawl into a hole. And then I realized that all of those people were just trying to love me and love Caity the best way that they knew how. I had many days of falling apart. The fear that you have for your child is stronger than any fear that you will ever have for yourself. It goes against every primal mother instinct that we have to allow someone to hurt our babies even if it is to try to make them better. I tried to hold it together during the day so I could be strong for everyone especially Caity but at night and early in the morning I would just fall apart. I spent more mornings than I can count watching the sunrise with tears streaming down my face. When the house would come back to life in the morning I would suck it all up and continue on being mommy, being the rock that everyone needed. It took a huge toll on me because it is harder than anyone can imagine not allowing yourself the time to weep and accept the comfort that people who love you would give if they only knew, if I only would of let them.

(I had to continue in the next blog bcs it was too long)

mom24babes said...

Con't.. I can understand your anger with God. I had similar feelings at first. Why would God do such horrible things to perfect little babies who never did anything wrong? I had a moment in church one Sunday when the pastor asked for anyone that needed prayer to come forward. I stood up, with my legs trembling and walked to him clutching a picture of my baby in my hands. He took me under his arm and I briefly explained to him Caity's situation. He then turned to the parish and asked for everyone to pray for her and asked God for a miracle to heal her. I went home that day with a renewed faith. I have never in my life prayed as hard for Caity as I did over the next couple of months. My anger with God dissipated and I began to understand. I gave in and told Him that whatever Caity's life was to be, I would be there for her and was so thankful to have her in my life no matter what the struggles were to come. She endured many tests and procedures and then a miracle began to happen! Her tumor began to disapper on its own! None of the doctors (wonderful doctors) at St. Jude could explain what was happening but I knew. I knew that Caity was a miracle in action, there was God's work happening right in front of me!
(con't)

mom24babes said...

Con't... Caity spent many years with follow up testing and every time the tumor was smaller and smaller wtih no explanation and no medications to make it smaller. Caity is now ten, almost eleven, years old. There is no sign that the cancer was ever present. Last summer we had a final check at Children's Hosp with the original doctor that diagnosed her. He checked her once and then again and turned to me and said "I have never said this to anyone in all of my years of practice, but this child is a miracle." I wanted to tell him that I know this but I just said "thank you".

So I guess that my reason for writing this to you is to tell you not to give up hope. If the drs tell you that your baby cannot do certain things and she has than that is your miracle. Every single time she defies that odds than that is a miracle! It may not seem like it but God is not giving up on you or your baby. Sometimes it is just harder to see the miracles. I will pray for your baby and for you and the rest of your beautiful family. I hope that my story helps in some little way.
Love,
Jennifer