Friday, December 05, 2008

It's Done.

Yesterday morning I arrived at the hospital at 8:30 am.

My mom and both sisters were there waiting for Allen and I.

I am so lucky to have my incredibly supportive family.

They took me back did my vitals and then had me pee in a cup and get in a gown. They even gave me some bright teal grippy socks to wear!

Nothing like a hospital gown, BRIGHT teal socks, florescent lighting and a marshmallow hat to make you look SEXY!


You know I look hot! No you can't have my hat.
<span class=

I kept noticing that my gown had an itchy tag inside it. It was really annoying me so I decided to inspect. Imagine my horror when I realized it was NOT a tag but someone else's old EKG lead stuck to the inside of my gown. Allen and I were both so grossed out.

It did look like it had been washed....but still.....

PUKE.

I called the nurse and showed her.......then I asked her if I had MRSA now. LOLOLOL She quickly got me another gown and explained that sometimes they just throw the gowns in the washer without inspecting that nothing is left sticking to them. Deborah reassured me those gowns are practically boiled in such hot water so I think I am safe from MRSA.

We waited in "pre-pre op" for an hour which was ANNOYING.

Once I got into pre-op though I was very tearful but numb and sad. Allen was sweet. I love him. The nurse came and did my IV and that's when my nerves started to get take over. Luckily the Anesthesiologist gave me some VERSAD and WOW that stuff works wonders.

Drugs are good...mmmmkay?!
<span class=

I was in and out of it. I vaguely remember Dr. Johnson coming in and asking me if I knew what they were going to do and then asking if I knew why.

I just said "no more babies".

:-(

sigh

They came and took me into the OR about 20 minutes later. Thankfully I was still loopy. They put an oxygen mask on me. Dr. Johnson came in and they started push more Versad and they must have pushed it fast because IT FREAKED ME OUT. I kept telling them to take the mask off that something was wrong. I thought I was going deaf. My eyes were crossing and I couldnt focus. Dr. Johnson came over and was stroking my hand saying "It's okay Trish just breathe in and out". The nurse asked me if my ears were ringing and I said "No I think I am deaf take this off". Obviously I wasnt deaf but I couldnt explain what I was feeling since I was out of it. It felt like I was hanging my head out a moving car window and the wind was blowing HARD in my ears. Dr. Johnson was awesome and kept holding my head and saying "Your okay Trish just breathe honey".

Photobucket

The next thing I remember was waking up in post op hearing "bong bong bong" and trying to take a cannula off my face. The nurse had given me Dilauded when I first woke up (I don't remember this) because I said I was hurting. My o2 sats kept dropping because I kept falling asleep from it. For some reason the cannula made me mad and I remember thinking I just want it off.

I guess I am not a good patient.

The nurse put a mask on me and I kept drifting in and out. I would wake up to the "bonging" again and the nurse telling me to take deep breaths. I kept asking "Where is Allen, is Makily okay"? (I thought the bonging at first was MAKILY'S o2 sat dropping).

I finally woke up some and she put the cannula back on, I was not thrilled with it. I remember I kept telling her I'm sorry. lololol

She was very nice to me though and just kept saying "it's okay". She fed me ice chips and I started to wake up more.


<span class=

They took me to post op and I sat there for a while drinking juice and water. Allen had to run to the school to pick Makily up so Deborah was waiting for me in Pre-op. It's kind of awesome having a sister that's a nurse by the way. She was great. Allen bought me a balloon and this doll. It's an old man with a shirt that says "If I flush will you go away". We all keep joking that the doll is Allen in 30 years. It also sings "Doncha" I have named him "Mr. Doncha". Makily loves him and thinks he's hilarious.

<span class=

So my belly button is really sore. I have been laying as flat as I can to avoid gas pains in my shoulders. My right shoulder was bothering me last night but as long as I lay down it's okay. Allen has been great about giving me my pain meds (Percocet) when it's time so I know that's helping me. I had some peeing problems yesterday (too much info I know). That seems to have resolved as today goes on though.

Emotionally right now I am okay. I don't know if it's a "drug induced" okay or if it has not totally sunken in yet. For now though I know I made the right choice and I have a peace knowing that I won't accidentally bring a sick baby into the world. That I won't have to face the decisions I talked about before.

Thanks to everyone that left such touching comments. Many of them made me cry. I appreciated each one. I love that I have such a great blog family that prays and thinks of us. Please continue to pray that my resolve in this stays the same and that I don't find myself incredibly depressed about it a month from now.

Love
Trish








10 comments:

Anonymous said...

tara said...
yes, i want that hat! and what is an ekg lead? just remember if God wants u to have another baby, it will happen, tubes tied and all. u made a very hard and selfless decision, there needs to be more mommies and daddies like u and allen in the world!

michelle hays said...

Im glad to hear youre ok. Im sure the holiday's will keep your mind busy, and that might take a bit of the shock away. Like I said before- I think you did the right thing. Now you can really focus on your two little kiddos. You will be planning J's first birthday party soon, wont you?

I gave you a blog award on my blog. This must be your zillionth.

Anonymous said...

i love how silly you can be after just going through a rough time :) you and makily are in our prayers daily

Anonymous said...

still praying....you did the right thing....little Makily is soooooooooooooo special....and I love that pic of her posing in her bed...that was priceless...

Becky said...

Not everyone can pull of that look, you know...kudos :) I just wanted to send you a big *hug*. I can only imagine how agonizing this decision was/is, but God led you to make the right decision for you and your family-that's all that matters. Makily is truly a gift from above, and God-willing, little J will join your family permanently. Take care.

Anonymous said...

I hope that you feel better soon. Have a great night!

art said...

Trish,

I am glad to hear that everything went well. I pray you will continue to heal both physically and emotionally.

I always think the saddest and hardest part of having a BT, is that we have had to mourn both our dreams for our UBT kiddos AND mourn for any future dreams we had regarding anymore bio kids.

I pray that J will be able to stay with you forever and that you will be able to bring as many children as you want into your family.

Adreanna

michelle hays said...

hey, i found this awesome blog. I thought you would find it very touching and inspiring.

http://www.5minutesforspecialneeds.com/707/choosing-to-see-beauty/

Anonymous said...

Man what a picture! I know it was a very hard yet selfless choice you made, but it still does not make it any easier. You know God has big plans for you, and Allen. I love and miss you guys lots!

Kelle, Rodney and Trevor

Andrea "The H family" said...

hi sweetie..prayed for you. I went to Christmas party last night and ran into a friend that said "I love Trish, Makily's mom's blog". LOL! I said..wow?! Blog world is crazy. We talked about you and she said "I love her, she's so real". I said "yes, I love her too".
Your so popular honey! And..so very loved. Love you babe..glad it went well. (umm, the gown thing freaked me out) That so would happen to me! Love you greatly,
A