Yesterday Makily's teacher asked if I was bringing anything to the school special like ice cream or cupcakes for Makily's birthday.
I hadn't thought about it really and immediately felt like a crappy parent.
I didn't occur to me though since Makily does not eat.
I told her that I would and she gave me suggestions.
I picked Jakob up from school today and we went to Walmart. I picked out some mini cupcakes and headed over to the health and beauty section to get a few things. All the while I was fighting back tears.....over cupcakes.....
I was buying cupcakes for Makily's birthday. I bought them for her to share with her classmates in celebration.
Makily can't and likely won't ever eat a cupcake.
Insert anxiety attack in the middle of the deodorant aisle.
I could feel the tears welling in my eyes.
I hate MARCH.
I got back to the car, called Allen and cried my eyes out all the way to the school to pick Makily up. I wish I could just let go of the past and what's been lost and move on. Most of the time I think I have but birthdays almost kill me every year. I think with Jakob's adoption I had so much going on and was distracted so I didn't have time to think about it much. Now it's here and I can't avoid it.
Too much pain, too many memories and the reminder of how much has been lost.
I hate that her birthday does not signify a happy joyous event for me.
It ALWAYS takes me back to that horrifying night when she was born.
The sound of her first cries will never leave me. I think I knew then before I had even really seen her that something was wrong. She sounded more like a kitten then a newborn. I can still see her eyes wide, huge and blue........she was struggling to get air into her tiny lungs. I remember holding her in my arms the first time, watching her trachea completely sink into the back of her neck, she was pulling so hard to try to breathe. She would attempt to cry in between breaths and it was again, like a kitten. Her limp body, the blue around her lips, the extra skin on her face, the monitors beeping that she wasn't getting enough air.
The look on Allen's face.
Seeing everyone else's faces filled with worry, not just my family members, but the doctors and nurses.
There was no mistaken....something was very wrong.
Where was the healthy 8 lb baby girl I was supposed to be having?
My head was spinning while I desperately tried to act like I was happy in front of everyone. I mean what kind of mother would I be if I showed them all how sad I was right now?
I recall the nausea hitting me hard when I realized that something was very wrong with this baby in my arms. Inside I wanted to put her down and run out of there. I wanted to run away from this awful reality.
These images will never leave me.
I will carry them always.
They have made me who I am.
They have strengthened me.
Remembering it all though.....every year.....sure is hard.
I love you Makily.
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Crying over Cupcakes.
Posted by Patyrish at 3/31/2010 02:55:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Oh sweet friend...I'm sending a super huge sqeeze.
I'm reading a book right now...I honestly had thought of you yesterday while reading...and this post reminded me. I honestly think that it could be such an encouragement to your heart...as it has been to mine.
It's called "A Different Dream For My Child". It's an easy read...written by a mom of a child with special needs. She "gets it"..she meets you in the dark places and leads you to the light.
I'm sorry...and you have every right to cry over cupcakes...in Walmart. ;0)
You know what else she probably won't ever do? Lie to you. Or tell you she hates you. Or wait until you shut her door after a lecture and flip you off and tell you to go to hell. Or sneak out late to see a boy you don't like. Or let that boy break her heart.
Every time I think about what Kiki won't ever do, or cry because all the kids are hunting Easter eggs and she can't even frickin hold one, I remember some of these things that she can't do either. I think that's an extra measure of God's grace.
Praying for you...keep crying and keep talking...Michelle
Just wanted to say Happy Birthday Makily! (And a hug for Mom.)
Heather
Oh trish. I know its gotta be hard. Its hard for me, and we have not even scratched the surface of your trials. Did you know I work in a PPCD unit now? I decided to be of some use... I wish I could blog about it, but i would get fired.
Omigosh you really write so well, I am almost in tears...girl I know I dont really know how it feels but almost from how well you convey it. It's huge and I hope it helps you deal with the pain. Share with us...we are here for you.
Post a Comment